воскресенье, 6 сентября 2009 г.

Big Maybelle "America's Queen Mother of Soul" Got a Brand New Bag(1967)


Original realease date 01.1967
1. 96 Tears  2:23
2. Mellow Yellow 2:23
3. That's Life 3:02
4. There Must Be A Word 1:58
5. Ellenor Rigby 2:10
6. Love Is A Hurtin' Thing 2:10
7. I Can't Control Myself 2:51
8. Cabaret  1:57
9. Black Is Black  2:42
10. Coming On Strong  1:49
11. Egg Plant That Ate Chicago 2:56
12. Turn The World Around Another Way 2:03

*America's Queen Mother of Soul Got a Brand New Bag by Big Maybelle. You got your ridiculous -- "The Eggplant That Ate Chicago" -- and you got the sublime -- "That's Life," yes, the Frank Sinatra tune. And both with "Mellow Yellow." This is a collection of mid '60s hits that some producer almost certainbly forced this blues shouter to sing. It wouldn;t surprise me if she hated it. And it's sure not Maybelle's best.

But it's a hell of a lot of fun. She turns "96 Tears" into a soul workout." Same with The Troggs' "I Can't Control Myself." And she pours her guts into the soggy, middlebrow Eddy Arnold hit "Turn the World Around the Other Way."

Had I been the producer of this record (instead of being 14 years old or whatever I was at the time, I wouldn't have let Big Maybelle touch the wimp-rock whiner "There Has to Be a Word That Means More than Love." She sounds as if she's trying to imitate Eartha Kitt here, but she ends up sounding more like Claudine Longet here. But she makes up for it with the electrifying "Black is Black." (с) steveterrell.blogspot.com

Listen full songs:
Big Maybelle "America's Queen Mother of Soul" Got a Brand New Bag

ENJOY!
Link to download in comment

1 комментарий: